What's your archery setup?

Archery talk - discussion involving setting up a bow to showing off your rig can be found here.
deerhunter93

What's your archery setup?

Post by deerhunter93 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:05 am

I've had my Elite Hunter for about 6 years now and figured it was time to either get a new bow or upgrade what I have on it. I decided to go the "upgrade" route so I just had new limbs put on to go for the "ninja" look (all black). I also spray painted my stabilizer and quiver to save some money :lol: :way:

Anyway, I think I'm going to look into a new sight, rest, and bow string. Do you have any suggestions?

Sight - I currently have a toxonics 5 pin and I have had it for probably close to 10 years now. It works well but I think it's time for a change. I have thought about going to a single pin slider but have never shot one so I don't know how I'd like it in the stand when a buck is coming in.

Rest - I currently have a trophy ridge drop away rest. Again, it has done what it has needed to do but I'm ready to make a switch. I think I want to stick with a drop away but I haven't looked into them much. QAD seems to be a top choice for many people.

Bow string - It seems like there is quite a price range on these. I can get a set from ArcheryTalk for $50 but then I'd have to get them put on somewhere.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Philippians 4:13

23feetupandhappy

Re: What's your archery setup?

Post by 23feetupandhappy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:30 am

This is my bow, a Black Widow PTF....
No sights or rests to think about but an occasional string needs to be replaced :way:

No suggestions here except that when I was shooting a compound I went with a one pin fixed sight that was dead on at 17 or 18 yards.
With my setup I was then set for anything from about 23 yards and under, I loved the simplicity of it as most my shots were set up for 15 - 20 yards.
It was, put the pin on it and shoot, although my recurve now lets me get rid of the pin, Better Yet :way:
I bet you would like the one pin sliding system.

Iv been out of main stream archery world long enough that all your accessories sound like the top of the line to me :roll: :shifty:
I'm a " if its not broke don't fix it kind of guy" but I understand the need for a new look ;)

Lets see a pick of this Ninja Bow :needPics:
The Lord is my provider.................

BWJ

Post by BWJ » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Drew,

I shoot an older Hoyt - 08 Vectrix. It went in this spring for a new string and I have yet to get over to FD to pick it up. Always been my choice to shoot what works until it doesn't work anymore and the older Hoyts are heavy but built like TANKS. The bow seems to still be putting deer on the ground if the archer does his job executing the shot. :)

My only area of feedback relates to sight. I shoot a single pin HHA slider/dial - appears like the new version is the HHA DS-5019 Ultra. I bought it used. All metal construction - built to last so going the used route worked out well for me. A guy can order extra tapes for the dial markers to get it set for your individual bow speed, etc. If I bought a new HHA, I would probably go with the simpler HHA OL-5019. Once a string stretches, it sometimes is necessary to do minor adjustments to the dial and on the 5019 you could simply re-apply another tape.

I really prefer the clear sight window of the single pin style. For the vast majority of shot opportunities on whitetails, set the single pin for 25-27 yards and it works good from <20 to 35-40 (FYI - I am only shooting about 63-65 lbs). By that I mean, hold slightly low at lower distances and a little high in the high 30's. Between 25 and 35, the arrow drops right into the kill zone if the animal drops to load his/her legs to run away. At over 40, it's my thought that you will normally get an opportunity for a quick reset, if necessary, although I have yet to launch an arrow at a live animal over 37/38 yrds. It works for me, but you got to make it work for you.

BJ
Last edited by BWJ on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brent

KSQ2

Post by KSQ2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:17 pm

I like the adjust sight as well. I use a black gold ascent 3 pin. The only time I really use the adjustment is for fun in the backyard, or for novelty shoots. I set the pins to 20,30,40, and then used the bottom pin when lowering the sight for longer shots. It works great, I've had it on four bows now. It's a little pricey, but I don't plan on buying another, so it was worth it to me.
Romans 12:1,2

adamo

Post by adamo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:21 am

I'm currently shooting an Xpedition Xcursion. I was able to tour the factory, shoot every bow from their lineup and then pick the parts out and watch them put it together for me - was an awesome experience. I have a QAD rest and tight spot quiver. I have 3 different sites that I fiddle around with, but the one I currently like the best is an old true glow single pin - it does not move. I set it dead on at 28 yards and use the same approach as BWJ. I've never shot at an animal over 35 yards and I don't have to raise my pin up much to get that shot. It has a larger diameter pin though so not very good for tournament shoots, but I don't shoot many of those.

I am currently in a "less is more" attitude though, and have been trying to learn more about stick bows so I can go traditional.

I would be interested to hear what everyone is shooting for arrows. I'm in the market for some, just not sure what i'm getting yet. I like the idea of FMJ but my archery shop is trying to talk me out of them.

JMAC0501

Post by JMAC0501 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:52 am

I shoot an '08 Bowtech SWAT that I bought used. I'm in the 30 1/2 to 31" draw length. When I was looking for a used bow, there weren't a lot on the market that were long enough for me to shoot. It still gets the job done, so I keep shooting it.

I have a Spott Hogg Hunter with 0.010 pins. I really like it, but my eyes are starting to get old :o , and the 0.010 pins are harder for me to see every year. I've got the 0.019 pins for it. I may put a 0.019 back in for my first pin and leave the smaller ones in for the 30+ pins

I put on a Vapor Trail Limb Driver for a rest. Last year was my first year using it, and I'm not sure I love it. I had a whisker biscuit before, and loved the simplicity of it.

I had to replace my strings a couple of years ago after a debacle at the end my season that ruined a fairly new set of Matt Hoffert built strings.
I've got Winners Choice on now, but that was primarily because they could turn them around in a couple of days for me.
deerhunter93 wrote:Bow string - It seems like there is quite a price range on these. I can get a set from ArcheryTalk for $50 but then I'd have to get them put on somewhere.

FYI, If you want to buy strings, I've got a press that you are welcome to use to install them.

I too have been thinking about upgrading bow's, but I'll have limited time to bowhunt this fall, so I'm not sure this is the year to do it.
Jason
John 16:33b Take Courage; I have overcome the world.

BowHunterBri

Post by BowHunterBri » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:58 pm

I've got an '06 Bowtech Tribute that I absolutely love... I cracked a limb back in 2013 I believe, so I put new limbs on and it still shoots like a dream. I put new strings on last year, but can't remember what kind. I absolutely fall in to the category of if it isn't broke, don't fix it (orrr some people might call me thrifty). But I just love that bow, I've killed a lot of deer with it. In terms of sights, I've messed aroudn with a lot and always come back to a single horizontal pin. I've done the 3 pin and 5 pin horizontal, 3 pin vertical, single pin vertical... i always go back to single horizontal. It's just what I feel most comfortable with. I have it hitting spot on at 23 yards, so anything within 30 yards is getting a pin in the center of the chest and will die. I do not want to be screwing around with a slider pin in the moment of truth, especially during the rut when a buck can be booking it behind a doe and you only have a split second. That's just my opinion though... I've shot the same QAD dropaway rest, it broke one year and I contacted their customer service and they replaced it free of charge. :)

In the end, I"m a huge fan of comfort... do what feels best, what is most natural.